Buckley, shot mistakenly by police, is in danger of being taken to court for not paying hospital bill, even though he cannot work
Steven Buckley, 41, the man who was mistakenly shot in the head on the night of April 28, 2010, by an inspector of police leading a patrol, and as a result is disabled and unable to work, told Amandala that he has still not gotten a cent from the Police Department to cover his $6,561 debt to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital for his treatment.
Minister of Police John Saldivar had been contacted last Thursday to see what assistance would be given to Buckley by police. Saldivar said that he would consult the Commissioner of Police on his return from Salvador.
Upon returning, however, the Commissioner said that no decision had yet been made.
Buckley was told on Thursday, July 4, by Credit Master System, the collecting agent for the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, that last Friday, July 19, was the deadline to pay, after which court action would be taken against him.
Buckley said that he is unable to pay the bill because since suffering his injuries, he has been unable to work. He said that the police, who wrongfully shot him, should pay the bill, and also, compensate him. He said that despite the fact that he did no wrong, and that the police were totally at fault for shooting him, no one from the police has contacted him and no assistance has been given to him.
Since he is now unable to work, Buckley now depends on friends, family and kindhearted strangers to give him a little money to help him and his family.
Individuals who wish to help Buckley can contact him at phone number 628-5665.