Headline — 28 March 2014 — by Albert J. Ciego
3rd victim dies 17 days after Burrell Boom accident

Erin Davis, 18, who was involved in a tragic road accident on Sunday, March 9, in Burrell Boom, in which two persons were killed, died 17 days after the incident due to the massive head injuries he suffered as a result. He went into a coma after being injured, and did not recover.

The Davis family of Administration Drive, Belize City, is devastated and is mourning the death of Erin, who died at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) at about 2:00 p.m. yesterday afternoon.

Police reports are that at about 5:15 Sunday evening, March 9, they went to the scene of a reported traffic collision in the Burrell Boom area near the riverside, where they saw two vehicles with the front portions extensively damaged.

Their investigations revealed that Lindbergh Tucker, 20, the driver of a white Honda SUV, was driving out of the Boom Road when he collided with a white KIA Sportage coming from the opposite direction, driven by Karim Silva, 31, who was accompanied at the time by his daughter, Ashley Silva, 3.

Also travelling with him were Marcia and Maroni Blake and Adrian Gentle.

Both the three-year-old and Tucker died at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital while undergoing treatment for the injuries they suffered as a result of the accident. A man whose name police refused to release, even days after the accident, was travelling with Tucker; he was also taken to the KHMH, where he was admitted with head injuries.

That man turned out to be Erin Davis.

Erin’s father, Erick, Sr., said that his son, Erin, was travelling with Tucker and was sitting beside him when the collision occurred, but he did not have his identity documents on him. He was rushed to the KHMH in a coma and nothing more was said about him.

Nissah Davis, Erin’s mother, said that she works at the KHMH, and since her son was taken to the hospital, she sees him every day. Yesterday, when she went to see him, she observed that he seemed different. She alerted a doctor who examined him and told her that he was dying, and told her to call the family.

She immediately alerted the family members and they converged at his bedside, and were all with him when he died. She said that she will miss him, because he was the joy of the family.

However, there is a huge hospital bill of $14,000 to be paid, and the insurance companies do not want to step up to assist them, Nissah said, adding that the third party insurance of the vehicle should have kicked in and taken care of all the costs resulting from the tragedy, but there is foot-dragging.

She reiterated that her son was in the passenger seat beside the driver at the time of the collision, and he should have been covered by the third party insurance.

Erin Davis, 18, is survived by his mother, Nissah; his father, Erick, Sr., his brother, Erick, Jr., and his sister, Kimberly.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been made, but his mother said that he will likely be buried on Tuesday after funeral services at Ebenezer Church.

Related Articles


About Author

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.