Crime — 09 September 2014 — by Rowland A. Parks
7 persons arraigned for Friday’s brazen robbery

BELIZE CITY–This morning, seven persons lined up in the small courtroom of Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith as their names were called and they were placed according to their appearance on the court book, before they were arraigned on a string of charges in relation to an armed robbery of a Chinese snack shop that occurred on Friday, September 5, in the Fabers Road Extension of Belize City.

John Longsworth, 20, Kareem Smith, 25, and Anis Bowen, 18, all pleaded not guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit robbery.

Christian Robateau, 21, Kevin Bowen, 21, and Jarette Crawford, 29, were charged with robbery.

Crawford was additionally charged with attempted murder and possession of unlicensed firearm.

Seth Jones, 23, was charged with abetment to commit robbery.

Christian Robateau pleaded guilty to robbery. He and the two others who were charged with robbery were remanded to the Belize Central Prison until their next court appearance on December 8, while the other accused persons were granted bail with conditions and the case against them was adjourned to October 23.

Longsworth and Smith were granted bail of $3,000, $500 of which was to be paid as cash. They were ordered to report to the Racoon Street Police Station every Monday and Friday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

Bowen, a University of Belize student, was granted bail of $3,000 plus two sureties. She is to surrender her passport to the court and she is not to apply for any new travel document without the permission of the court. She is to report to the Racoon Street police station every Monday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

Another condition of their bail is that they stay away from all prosecution witnesses and they are to surrender all travel documents to the court, and are not to apply for any new travel documents without the permission of the court, and they are not to leave the country without the permission of the court.

Jones was similarly granted bail in the sum of $3,000 plus one surety in the same amount. He is also to surrender his travel document to the court and is not to apply for any new travel document without the permission of the court.

The robbery would have been successful, but the Gang Suppression Unit had gotten prior intelligence about the robbery and a police officer was in the area when the three robbers walked into the Chinese snack shop. A shootout between police and the robbers occurred, but no one was injured during the shootout.

The three robbers managed to walk out of the shop with a number of electronic items totaling almost $10,000.
Police managed to recover all of the stolen items.

e-mail bar

Related Articles


About Author

Amandala Administrator

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.