GALES POINT MANATEE, Belize District, Thurs. June 25, 2020– At about 2:30 this morning in Gales Point, Manatee, a van belonging to Kenneth Welch, the pastor of a church in the village, which was parked in his yard near his concrete house, was completely destroyed by fire.
A butane gas tank that was filled with gas, which was in the van at the time, exploded. Luckily, no one was injured, because Welch’s family and their guest were sleeping in the house at the time.
Police have begun an investigation into the destruction of the van. Arson is suspected.
Pastor Welch told reporters that he was asleep in his room when he suddenly was awakened by smoke and the smell of burning rubber, and when he looked through his window, he saw the van burning.
Pastor Welch quickly awoke his family and guest and evacuated the house. The cause of the fire has not yet been ascertained.