BELIZE CITY, Tues. Oct. 20, 2020– At least preliminarily, an investigation into the mass outbreak from the Belize Central Prison on Monday, October 12, 2020, has not uncovered any evidence that there had been any type of collusion between prison guards and prisoners in the orchestration of the events at the prison.
On October 14, two days after the prison break, videos of now recaptured escapee Christopher Bradley, in which he made explosive claims of collusion between prison guards and prisoners, began to surface on social media.
In his weekly briefing with the media in Belmopan on October 19, 2020, however, Commissioner of Police Chester Williams, speaking of a report from the Deputy Head of the Crime Investigation Branch, Senior Superintendent Hilberto Romero, said, “the last time I heard from him, when I got a brief, he had said to me that there is no evidence of a ‘collusion,’ but he is here and you can ask him where he is with that investigation. He has said to me that there is no confirmation of collusion between the inmates and any of the prison warders at the prison.”
During that interview session with the media corps, Romero indicated that eight prison guards were interviewed in the process, and he stated, “we have found no collusion between any of the prison guards and the escapees.”