CAYO DISTRICT, Thurs. Jan. 7, 2021– It has been determined by a post-mortem examination that Myron Itza, the 14-year-old from San Jose Succotz Village, Cayo District, who passed away on New Year’s Day, died of “acute respiratory distress”.
You may recall that on the morning of January 1, police visited the home of Jose Alfredo Puc, 28, where they found Itza’s body in a bed.
Investigators learned that some time after 10:00 p.m. on New Year’s Eve night, the teen was at home with his mother and complained of abdominal pain, after which he exited the residence to use the outhouse, and his mother knew nothing of his subsequent whereabouts until police officers went to the home to inform her of his passing.
Investigators believe that Itza left his mother’s home and went to Puc’s residence, which is in the same village, where he consumed alcohol with others.
Puc told police that sometime around 2:00 a.m., he told the teen to go into his room to sleep, and in the morning, Itza was found unresponsive.
In an interview earlier this week, Assistant Commissioner of Police Joseph Myvett, Head of the National Crime Investigation Branch (NCIB), had indicated, prior to a post-mortem examination on Itza’s body, that charges would be brought against Puc, but at the time of the writing of this article, no charges had been levied.