74 F
Belize City
Monday, December 6, 2021
Home General Two Toledo houses destroyed by fire

Two Toledo houses destroyed by fire

OTOXHA, Toledo District, Mon. Nov. 2, 2020– Two houses in Otoxha Village, Toledo District, were destroyed by a fire that flared up when an LPG salesman used an open flame to ascertain if a recently filled gas tank was leaking.

On Saturday, October 31, Elizabeth Ack ordered $50 dollars worth of butane gas from Lucas and Sons Butane Gas Company, which was delivered by Marvin Sam, 19, an employee of the company, in a 50-pound cylinder gas tank.

Reports given to police indicated that after reconnecting the valve to the tank, Sam used a flame from a lighter to check for leaks, and as a result, ignited a leak which then caused a fire that spread to portions of the house.

Sam ran for a fire extinguisher from his truck, but by the time he returned, the thatched roof of Elizabeth’s dwelling, which had wooden siding and measured 18 foot by 36 feet, was already a raging inferno.

That fire spread to and destroyed an adjacent structure, which measured 16 feet by 30 feet, and also had wooden siding and a thatched roof.

Nothing in Ack’s home or the other structure was saved, and the damage is estimated at around $14,000.   Both structures were owned by Elizabeth’s father, Tomas Ack, 65.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Omicron variant not yet in Belize

BELIZE CITY, Wed. Dec. 1, 2021 -- At this time, the Ministry of Health and Wellness is increasing its COVID-19 surveillance efforts following the...

6 remanded for Hidden Valley drug plane landing

BELIZE CITY, Wed. Dec. 1, 2021 -- Yesterday, six men were arraigned in the San Ignacio Magistrates Court two days after being detained following...

1/2 ton cocaine from narco plane found

BELIZE CITY, Wed. Dec. 1, 2021 -- After combing through the forests in Mountain Pine Ridge in search of the cargo of the Cessna...

Did Mrs. Narda overreact?

If all of the beef Mr. Sanker has with Mrs. Narda is on a piece of canvas and a logo on a cap, then...