General — 16 August 2011 — by Daniel Ortiz
Charles Woodeye’s last dominoes game
Yesterday at around 3:00 p.m., Charles Woodeye was shot to death inside the fire station at the corner of Warree and Dolphin Streets. This shooter was unusually brazen in his mission. It was broad daylight, the unmasked shooter identified his victim amongst the firemen watching a dominoes game, and unleashed a barrage of shots over the shoulder of one of them.
He was evidently was not worried about witnesses seeing him.
Not only that, the Racoon Street Police Headquarters is just a stone’s throw away from the fire station.
Witnesses told Amandala that Woodeye, 24, was inside fire station playing dominoes near the main entrance, as he always does on Sundays with the firefighters. The gunman apparently walked off Dolphin Street, came up and hid behind one of the firefighters.
He then pulled out a firearm and fired several shots from over the shoulder of the firefighter whom he had hid behind. When Woodeye went down after being hit several times, the gunman ran out the same way he had come in.
The firefighters, who would speak to us briefly, said that the gunman had no disguise other than a hat, which he had pulled low over his face. He also kept his head down the entire time that he could be seen.
Police say that Woodeye suffered several gunshot wounds to the chest area. The bullets didn’t only hit Woodeye, some of them hit the front windshield and the side of a fire engine that was parked further inside.
Woodeye was rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH), but quickly succumbed to his injuries.
His family has steadfastly refused to comment to the media.
In February of 2009, John Paul Saldivar was murdered on northern Ambergris Caye; his murder is said to have been drug-related.
Woodeye was eventually charged for his murder, along with Micah Thompson, and Sheldon “Pinky” Tillett, a reputed major George Street figure. In January of 2010, all three men were freed of the charges brought against them when the prosecution said that it did not have enough evidence against them.
As a result of the year they spent in prison, the men filed a lawsuit against the Attorney General for wrongful imprisonment and false arrest. That lawsuit began on July 13, 2011.
It is notable that Woodeye’s shooting is not the only shooting to have taken place in this Dolphin Street Fire Station; there was another, an unrelated incident a few months ago.
That shooting took place in May of 2011. There were firemen on duty when a gunman barged in and headed to the bunk room. One of the firemen saw him as he pulled out a firearm.
The fireman and the gunman got into a struggle, and the firearm discharged. The bullet ricocheted and grazed the shoulder of another firefighter. The gunman fled before he could be caught; no motive has been found, nor has the suspect been caught by police.
In another unrelated shooting, Stephan Flowers, 18, a Belize City resident, is in critical condition at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital after he was shot on Saturday, August 13, at around 10:30 p.m.
Police say that Flowers and Ian Henkis, another Belize City resident, were riding their bicycles on Mopan Street heading toward Sibun Street.
Police say that a man came up behind them and fired several shots in their direction. One of the bullets caught Flowers in the left side of the abdomen.
He was rushed to the KHMH where he is currently on life support. Police recovered a Colt .45 pistol with an extended clip at the scene of the Flowers’ shooting.
Again, the family of Stephan Flowers has refused to comment to the media. 

Related Articles


About Author

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.