September 23, 2015
1. Congratulations are in order to our Prime Minister, the Hon. Dean O. Barrow, for explaining in detail, at our country’s 34th Independence ceremonies, his Government’s very “transparent and accountable” programme for infrastructure development, salary increases, the advancement of employment as well as the elimination of debt by our unfortunate and poor to our government hospitals. I also through this medium offer my congratulations to the Leader of the Opposition, the Hon. Francis Fonseca for advocating “unity” of purpose by the Belizean public. Let’s hope that we as a people can discard our pettiness in politics and carry that message to fruition.
2. I ask the Prime Minister to continue his good work by reviewing the areas of medicine and foodstuff that currently carry 12.5% in sales tax and endeavor to eliminate most if not all of those taxes.
3. There are retirees and seniors who are receiving funds from Social Security, but who are at the very minimum scale or, as we say locally, “at the bottom of the barrel”. I ask for the Prime Minister’s indulgence in recognizing the need to increase the amount to those people. After all, Social Security has millions of dollars invested in its coffers that should not warrant an increase of the contributions currently paid by workers and employers.
4. I further recommend that our Prime Minister use his good office in having the Minister of Labor appoint a “Wage Rate Review Commission” to review and recommend an increase in the wage rates affecting all non-unionized workers and, as an incentive to employers for their cooperation, they may be offered a suspension of their business tax by a given percentage and for a limited period of time.
5. Finally, I implore the Hon. Speaker of the House of Representatives to fully exercise the powers given to him by the “Standing Orders” of the House to have “ALL” members, regardless of position, behave with respect to each other; no name-calling or abusive language. Such childish and disrespectful behavior should not be directed to people in absentia and will NOT be tolerated. Any Member who disobeys shall be ejected from the Sitting of the House.
Adolphus A. Rosales