Here is an update on the recent boxing event which was held at the Hour Bar on Princess Margaret Drive in Belize City on Saturday, November 30.
The preliminary bouts were fiery, with young Belizeans showcasing their potential in the first 4 matches which featured Belizeans vs Belizeans, with boxers from Leopold Smart’s Boxing Club in Belize City, Lion’s Den Club in Cayo under Mr. Frank Martinez, and Lions Den Club in Ladyville under Mr. Clinton Tucker; while Belizean boxers squared off against Mexican opponents in the last 6 bouts.
1. The opening bout saw Jace Acosta (Cayo) vs Kendis Gentle (Smart), with Kendis Gentle victorious, both in the 32 kg weight class.
2. Next was Carlos Silvero (Cayo) vs Mark Avilez (Smart), with Carlos Silvero victorious, both in the 35 kg class.
3. Elijah Pinkard (Smart) vs Max Silvero (Cayo) in the 60 kg class, with Max Silvero winning.
4. In the same weight class of 60 kg, we saw Raheem Lambey (Smart) vs Warren Davis (Ladyville). Warren Davis from Tucker’s Lions Den Club in Ladyville was declared the winner, but the crowd in attendance was dissatisfied with the result.
Belizeans vs Mexicans
5. In the first Belizean vs Mexican bout, very impressive was Belize’s Andy Dominguez (Cayo), who won the bout over Raul Suarez of Mexico in 49 kg class with a unanimous decision. Andy hails from Frank Martinez’s Lion’s Den Club in Cayo.
6. Harold Mariano (Smart) managed to weather the storm against the Mexican Roger Flores, to pull off a split decision win in the 64 kg weight class.
7. The only female bout of the night featured Pauline Reneau, 54 kg, vs Maria Garcia of Mexico, where Garcia won the fight in a split decision outcome, much to the displeasure of the crowd, who believed Pauline had won. This is the second fight between the two, in which Pauline had previously gained a unanimous decision win. Pauline has great potential, but was not able to work out as much for this fight due to her work shift at the Ready Call Center. She hails from Leopold Smart’s Boxing Club.
8. Next was Alan Geban vs Saul Novelo of Mexico in the 69 kg class. Alan Geban won by a unanimous decision. He hails from Mr. Leopold Smart’s Club.
9. In the next event, we saw Max “Pain” Williams of Smart’s Club/Belize vs Sergio Palma of Mexico in the 66 kg class, where Sergio Palma upset Max “Pain” in a split decision result.
10. Following the “Pain” loss, the crowd was ready for the much anticipated main event, which featured the “Golden Boy,” Sherman Galvez of Smart’s Boxing Club, who disposed of his Mexican opponent in short order. Although Sherman had to move up from 69 kg to 75 kg for this bout, the fight was stopped in the first round by referee Francis Henkis, after Sherman caught his opponent with a thunderous hook to the chin, which resulted in a TKO. It is noted that Sherman and Max are both Bronze Medalists in the 2013 Central American Championships held in Nicaragua from October 30 – November 2 of this year.
This event was a James Adderley Promotion. Mr. Adderley would like to thank his sponsors, Bowen and Bowen, The Belize Bank Ltd., BTL, Jaada Adderley, Mr. Santino’s, and the Hour Bar.
Road to Glory tournament
The Belize Boxing Federation (BBF) would like to ask the support of the general public to come out to the ROAD TO GLORY tournament, starting Sunday, December 15, at Bird’s Isle in Belize City, beginning at 1:30 p.m. This tournament will be an elimination process to select boxers to represent Belize next year, at the AIBA Youth World Championship to be held in Sofia, Bulgaria; the Youth Olympics in China; the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland; and the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championship in Canada. We urge anyone who would like to be a part of the boxing family to email [email protected] or text or call 667-4151.