Headline — 17 March 2015 — by Rowland A. Parks
Straight from KHMH to Kolbe!

BELIZE CITY, Mon. Mar. 16, 2015–On Wednesday night, March 4, Jervis Valencia Diamond, 32, was admitted to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) in a critical condition and placed on a life support ventilator after being shot by police after he allegedly shot two men in a yard on Mayflower Street, one fatally.

Today, however, Diamond, still in obvious need of medical attention, was reportedly released from the hospital. He had been under police guard in the hospital, and he was immediately brought to court to be charged after he was released.

Diamond, who is more popularly known as Jervis Valencia, was in obvious pain and could barely move without assistance as he slowly made his way into the courtroom of the Chief Magistrate, at the Belize City Magistrate’s Court, where he was arraigned for murder and other indictable offences.

Diamond, the name he used in court, did not have to enter a plea when he was arraigned before Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith this afternoon.

Police charged Diamond with the murder of Moses Ervin Gonguez, 36. In addition, Diamond was also charged with one count of attempted murder of Triston Gordon, 23, use of deadly means of harm and dangerous harm upon Gordon.

Diamond has also been charged with two counts of aggravated assault against two police officers – Corporal Harold Grinage and PC Freeman Staine.

Jervis Valencia Diamond, 32, charged with murder and attempted murder

For the weapon that police allegedly found following the shootout, Diamond is facing one count of possession of unlicensed firearm and unlicensed ammunition.

The shooting occurred shortly after 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 4, when a group of men were socializing at #13 Mayflower Street on the night of the municipal elections while ballots were being counted.

Diamond reportedly fired several shots at the group of men, fatally injuring Moses Gonguez, and hitting Triston Gordon in the leg.

He then attempted to flee from the scene, but he was met by police officers who were responding to the shooting.

Police reported that Diamond was asked to surrender, but instead of surrendering, he allegedly pointed his weapon at the police, who opened fire at him, hitting him in the chest and neck area. He was rushed to the KHMH, where he was admitted in a critical condition and had remained under police guard until today, when police took him to court.

Police reported that they are investigating the shooting, but are of the view that the officers involved were defending their lives, Inspector Hilberto Romero said at a police press briefing on the incident.

Police, however, have been unable to establish a motive for the shooting.

Diamond was remanded to prison until his next scheduled court date on May 6, 2015.

Outside the courtroom, Diamond’s mother and other close relatives looked on as he was escorted out of the court building and into a special police pickup truck, where he was handcuffed despite the bandages on him, and the obvious difficulties and pain he was experiencing due to his injuries.

The pleas of his relatives that he instead be handcuffed by the foot were ignored, as police handcuffed his hands and the pickup began its journey to the Belize Central Prison.

Diamond’s family also expressed concern that he has not yet begun to get any kind of therapy for his injuries. His mother explained that he has a hole in his throat and was worried that he might catch an infection in the prison.

Related Articles


About Author

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.