Headline — 17 June 2014 — by Kareem Clarke
Wayne “Bomb” Jones stabbed and left for dead

The former star goalkeeper was stabbed in the back with a butcher knife

A former footballer who was recognized as one of Belize’s best goalkeepers two and a half decades ago almost lost his life in a tragic stabbing incident that took place while he was making his way home early last Friday morning on Lancaster Street near Freetown Road on Belize City’s northside.

While the incident is yet to be reported by police, Amandala today visited Wayne “Bomb” Jones, 50, at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, where he is presently recuperating from his injury. He told us that it was a completely senseless incident in which he was targeted by an apparently idle-minded assailant, for no known reason.

Still obviously shaken and traumatized, Jones said, “I was going home Friday morning about after 12:00 midnight and a man came out of the blue and asked me what I was doing around there, after which he jumped off his bike, stabbed me in my back with a butcher knife, jumped back on his bike, gone and left me right there to bleed out.”

Jones told us that when he suffered the wound, he fell to the ground and shrieked in pain, and he felt that he was going to die there and then.

Since at that time of the night no one was around, Jones, in pain, was forced to make his way towards a nearby taxi stand for assistance.

“I was hollering for help, but nobody came out, so I started to make my way to the hospital. I made it all the way to the Cinderella Plaza, where I saw a police mobile unit which I stopped, and the officer who was driving called the ambulance. When the ambulance came and they put me inside, I blacked out because I [had] lost a lot of blood”, Jones explained.

Jones was stabbed once in the lower left side of his back and is awaiting a prognosis from doctors to find out what is the actual extent of his injury, and to determine if he will need surgery.

What is known at this time is that Jones will need about a quart of blood to replace the amount he lost on the night of the incident, and he is therefore making a plea to anyone who would be willing to donate blood to him so that he can hopefully have a full recovery.

He said that the perpetrator is a person whom he recognized; however, he has no idea why he was attacked, and is thankful that he survived the ordeal.

According to Jones, investigators have still not recorded a statement from him, and when we checked with Belize City police, they said that they were unaware of the incident but promised to look into it.

Wayne Jones was a star goalkeeper for Belize City’s Milpros in the 1980s, and was selected as Best Goalkeeper in the National Competition (now called Semi-Pro) of 1986.

Related Articles


About Author

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.