74 F
Belize City
Friday, September 17, 2021
Home General Dr. Manzanero to get new post

Dr. Manzanero to get new post

BELIZE CITY, Wed. July 28, 2021– This week, the Minister of Health and Wellness (MOHW), Hon. Michel Chebat, said that the sidelined Director of Health Services (DHS), Dr. Marvin Manzanero, will be given a new post that will involve oversight of the international affairs of the MOHW.

Readers would recall that Dr. Manzanero was the primary point person steering the country’s efforts to respond to the spread of the COVID-19 virus during the first few months of the pandemic.

It was at the end of the year, in December 2020, that he himself contracted the coronavirus and was hospitalized. Dr. Manzanero recovered, but during the period in which he was away from his post — initially as a result of his illness and subsequently as part of a scheduled vacation, a shift had taken place within the Ministry, and all indications were that Dr. Melissa Diaz-Musa, who was acting as DHS during his absence, had been selected to permanently replace Manzanero as DHS.

Since then, she too has left the post of DHS, and as a result the duties of that office are
currently being carried out by the Deputy DHS, Dr. Francis Murray.

Minister Chebat has since said that Dr. Manzanero and the Health Ministry had reached an agreement that Dr. Manzanero, who has been back at his previous position as the Coordinator at the National HIV/AIDS program since returning from his vacation, would relinquish his post as Director of Health Services upon his return to the Ministry.

This week, however, Minister Chebat said that they are in talks with the Ministry of the Public Service to create a new office inside the Health Ministry that will be tasked with handling its international affairs, and Dr. Manzanero will be heading that office.

He did not indicate when this office will be established, but said that they are engaged in talks with Dr. Manzanero in regard to the establishment of the new post.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Wife of double-murder suspect granted bail

Belize City, Thurs. Sept. 9, 2021-- Last Thursday, Jovannie O’Brien was arrested and charged in connection with the shooting of Lloyd Myvett, 18, and...

4 homes burnt; arson suspected

Belize City, Fri. Sept. 10, 2021-- On Friday, September 10, just after 6:30 p.m., the local fire department received reports of a huge fire...

Belize listed in US State Department Afghan travel release

BELIZE CITY, Mon. Sept. 13, 2021-- In a joint statement released by the US State Department on August 29, Belize was listed as a...