74 F
Belize City
Monday, August 10, 2020
Home Highlights Norwegian contract in the works

Norwegian contract in the works

Last month, the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that the Barrow administration signed with a major international cruise line – Norwegian Cruise Line – to establish a new port and a destination island in southern Belize was released, but now the Government is in the process of hammering out a legally-binding contract with the company, which proposed to invest US$50 million in the venture.

Speaking with the press at the launch of the National Bank of Belize on Monday, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Dean Barrow stated, “we’re moving to a point where there is going to be a legally binding contract, and I have promised that some of the things that either weren’t clear or that NCL apparently didn’t understand in the MoU will be reflected in the legally binding contract.”

One source of disagreement between the Government and Norwegian is the insistence by the Government that there would be no diversion of ships from the existing Belize City port – the only one in the country to date.

Norwegian’s whole rationale for proposing the new port was to take their passengers, who don’t get to experience Belizean tours, to a destination where they can have a uniquely Belizean experience. Norwegian told us last month that its hope is that the majority of its passengers would go to the new port, which would be set up on Harvest Caye, near Placencia.

Prime Minister Barrow said that the Government is concerned about overuse of the proposed facility. He indicated that Norwegian had actually requested 2 berthing facilities, but the Government said no.

“While I don’t want to slam the door completely shut, as of now, I will repeat my position – that when we get into the formal agreement, we will stick to the position, which is that [the new port] is used by Norwegian and nobody else and if that’s 150 days per year. So be it,” said Barrow.

Barrow said that the Government of Belize is putting Norwegian on notice, but a binding agreement will make that abundantly clear.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Immigration officers busted with weed

CARMELITA, Orange Walk District, Thurs. Aug. 6, 2020-- Three Immigration officers attached to the Belmopan Immigration office have been charged jointly with drug trafficking...

Former foreign ministers call on GOB to respond to kidnapping of Garinagu leaders

Last week five former foreign ministers of Belize — Eamon Courtenay, Assad Shoman, Lisa Shoman, Godfrey Smith, and Said Musa, who is also a...

House Meeting on August 3

BELIZE CITY, Thurs. Aug. 6, 2020-- The House of Representatives met once again on Monday, August 3, 2020 to debate a number of bills...

San Pedro under complete lockdown for 14 days

BELIZE CITY, Thurs. Aug. 6, 2020-- At a virtual press conference held this evening, Prime Minister Dean Barrow announced that because of an alarming...