General — 08 September 2018 — by Roy Davis (freelance reporter)
Prosecution withdraws ammo charge from Underwood brothers

BELIZE CITY, Wed. Sept. 5, 2018– A charge of keeping ammunition without a gun license against two brothers, Alexander Underwood, 28, and Austin Underwood, 24, was withdrawn by the prosecution when they appeared in court today.

On October 23, 2017, four police officers, members of a special assignment team, went to the brothers’ residence, a two-storey house on Reggae Street, and executed a search without any residents of the house being present.

The search, they reported, resulted in the discovery of one 2.23 caliber bullet which they said they found in a blue plastic bag that had been hung on a fence.

That same day, members of the Underwood family said that they saw the police plant the bullet when they visited the residence earlier. The members of the brothers’ family also said that the brothers were being targeted by the police.

The brothers were arraigned on the following day, October 24, 2017, and they were denied bail and were remanded into custody. They later gained their freedom by applying to the Supreme Court for bail.

On August 23, 2018, at a case management conference before the Chief Magistrate, Sharon Fraser, their attorney, Dickie Bradley, submitted that there was not sufficient evidence against them to warrant a conviction.

Today the response from Chief Magistrate Fraser was an instruction to the prosecution that the charge be withdrawn.

Related Articles

Share

About Author

Deshawn Swasey

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.