Headline — 08 November 2013 — by Albert J. Ciego
Michael Silva, 28, surrenders to police

Michael Silva, 28, son of Daniel “Dan” Silva, a businessman and former PUP area rep and minister of government, calmly walked into the San Ignacio Police Station and gave himself up yesterday, after being wanted for the murder of his girlfriend since September 2011.

Silva, of Kontiki, San Ignacio, was accompanied by his father, who served as Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Cooperatives from 1998 to 2003.

Police arrested and charged Michael Silva with one count of murder for the death of Maritza Santos, 19. He was taken to the San Ignacio Magistrate’s Court today, Thursday, where he was remanded to the Belize Central Prison until January 23 next year.

Police said that at about 10:00 on Thursday night, September 23, 2011, Silva’s girlfriend, Maritza Santos, 19, was found dead in his home in the Kontiki area of San Ignacio. She had been beaten in the head with a blunt object.

Police who went to the gruesome scene said that Santos was found lying on a bed in one of the bedrooms bleeding from the head.

Silva was also at home, and had drunk a quart of herbicide in an attempt to commit suicide. Police reportedly found the container of herbicide in the kitchen of the house.

Silva was rushed to the San Ignacio Hospital, and later transferred to the Belize Healthcare Partners hospital in Belize City for further treatment.

Arrangements were then made for Silva to be transported to Guatemala for further medical attention, but he was not seen or heard from in Belize thereafter, and it became dubious whether he would ever reappear to face charges for the death of Santos.

After Silva did not return from Guatemala, police issued a warrant for his arrest for the murder of Maritza Janet Santos.

Several individuals who were acquainted with Silva had reported that they saw him on more than one occasion in various parts of Guatemala.

Some alert Belizeans reportedly saw his pictures on Facebook and called police. Police said that they, in turn, alerted Interpol, who were searching for him on the strength of the Belize warrant, issued on Friday, July 19 this year. Interpol then placed him on their wanted list for Santos’ murder.

However Silva’s family said that they were keeping the police informed of his whereabouts, and said that he would have returned to Belize to clear his name after his medical treatment was completed.

A few months ago his father publicly promised that his son would return to tell his side of the story.

Those who knew her said that Maritza Santos, a recent high school graduate, was a beautiful young woman who has loving, charming and friendly.

Michael Silva is being represented by attorney Dickie Bradley.

Related Articles


About Author

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.